Friday, June 22, 2007

Watch before you write......


I got an mail forwarded today by a fried of mine. It involved Tommy Hilfiger, the fashion tycoon. The message alleged that he had made racial comments on the Oprah Winfrey show. He supposedly mentioned

"If I had known that African-Americans, Hispanics and Asians would buy my clothes, I would not have made them so nice," and "I wish those people would not buy my clothes - they were made for upper-class whites." What did he say when Oprah asked him if he said these things? He said "Yes." Oprah immediately asked Hilfiger to leave her show.

I was infuriated, considering I just met someone a couple of weeks ago that had picked up some merchandize that belonged to the Brand. My very instct was to forward the mail to the 310 odd friends that I had in orkut, in hope that they would do the same and make people think before they picked up the brand merchandize.

For some reason I held myself back and check the net for the truth, I came across Orrah’s very own website and her interview with Tommy, and I learnt that it was a hoax. Find the conversation on
http://www2.oprah.com/tows/slide/200705/20070502/slide_20070502_350_101.jhtml



Moral of the story:

Forwards can make or break peoples lives. An opinion that may hold true for you may not be the truth.

Next time we send a forward, be responsible to check the credentials before sending it across, god knows what the outcome will be.

Think before you send that email.........

No comments: