Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I don't want to come back today!


I don't want to come back today!


That’s what Steven, or fondly known as Steve, by me and gang of friends, said.
He was sent to US for a month of training. And guess what his month ended on September 11th. The day which in the year 2001 went down in history of mankind!!!!

The week prior to September 11, 2007, the shocking news features on almost every form of media. “Osama Lives”

The air strikes in Afghanistan that were carried out, post confirmed reports of his whereabouts by US Military intelligence, somehow couldn’t put him into the grave. In fact he escaped death nearly four times, post September 11, 2001 attacks that the US carried out on the Taliban strong hold.

----------------------------------------

It was around 8:00 p.m. in the evening somewhere in May 2004, when I had a chance to see ‘Ground Zero”. The entire place was fenced. Photographs of better times of those unlucky people that lost their lives hung on the fences. Walking around the fence I went numb. I sat on a bench. My head lifted up to the skies, to see the many sky scrapers that stood around it. A zillion thoughts raided my mind one after another: - What would have been the expression of the passerby’s then; what would have been the situation of those in adjoining buildings; what about the families of the victims; What about those fire men that lost their lives. The day-trip to New York, which took me to places, that made my jaw drop, suddenly changed. It wasn’t a feel good factor anymore.

I can well imagine the plight of Steve when he said what he said. In fact taking this a step further, how would you define “Being Safe”? US thought always that they could be untouched by an external threat. They thought themselves to be a superpower, with the best defense in the world. Too bad they were made to kneel down on that ill fated day of September 11, 2001.

We all travel to work, school, college or pleasure; do you think you are really safe?

I am convinced; I AM NOT, AND WILL NEVER BE!

Now take a look at the picture very closely, that’s what I call being
“SAFE”

No comments: